Friday, April 10, 2015

Ode to the Hunching Goblin

Smart Phone Fear by Matthew English
Recently it has struck me just how amazingly dependent many of the people I know and meet, and in the places where I work, shop, or do business, are on technology, especially the now-ubiquitous smart phone.

Sorry if I come across as a tiresome curmudgeon, but I ask you next time you are out and about to look around and see just how many people are sitting or standing, hunched like a goblin over this tiny box, pouring their time and attention into this glass screen.

The image nagged has nagged at me for several weeks now - I've read a novel or short story about what we seem to be turning into, but couldn't place it until today.

If you have the chance, please take a few minutes to read E.M. Forster's novella, The Machine Stops. If you are driving or otherwise unable to read the story, check out the audio version below.

No rant here. Just something to contemplate.

Have a safe weekend. Don't let the SOBs get you down.



2 comments:

peakfuture said...

Amen!

'The Machine Stops' is one of those stories that makes you wonder if time travel is possible - E.M. Forster hit the nail on the head.

You had a great comment on the ADR, BTW; I quoted you. Apocalypse Fatigue is a real problem, alas. One does wonder when things will hit the fan. In the meanwhile, we live in two worlds, like Schrödinger's cat.

Flagg707 said...

@peakfuture: Thanks and yes, this continuing tension between the past and whatever awaits us on the other side of this rolling series of crises can be maddening at times.