Thursday, March 1, 2012

Strive

Strive High, Julia Sonmi Heglund

I ended yesterday's post on a bit of a downer.  The more I think about it, we don't need more negativity out there.  For those of us trying to keep our heads up a bit more than the average citizen and peer over these choppy waves towards the horizon, we do see a new day dawning.  Getting there may be rough, but the tough times shall pass and we will have yet another chance to rebuild on the ashes of this decayed and hollowed-out system.

On that note, while I still do think starting a business in this environment is a challenging endeavor, it is not hopeless, and, frankly, having a source of income that you have more control over than you would as an employee is going to be a necessity in our coming changed world.  When applied correctly, technology is helping make it less hopeless to start a business every day.  As an example, I want to highlight a recent posting by Tim Ferriss, a serial entrepreneur and wired, high-energy type of guy who pushes hard for people to start their own businesses in his book The Four-Hour Work Week, as well as on his blog.  In a recent post, he talks about leveraging contests to help your start-up succeed:

“The Start-up’s Secret Weapon: Contests” or “How to Turn $100K into $12,000,000″
by Tim Ferriss
In the world of magazine articles, one of my all-time favorite headlines is “Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Meta” from the MIT Technology Review, a feature about billionaire programmer, Charles Simonyi. Charles designed Microsoft Office and is outstanding at looking at programming as different layers of abstraction.

How can we raise our perspective from 5,000 feet to 30,000 feet to learn a few things? This post will do that with competitions...
Read, enjoy, learn, apply.

Interesting Note:  I stumbled across the society6 website and absolutely love much of the artwork I see there. I plan to use images from various works in many of my blog posts going forward.  On a funny socionomic note, for today's post I plugged the word "happy" into their search feature.  I received zero - yes, zero - returns.  I plugged in "death" and received back over 1,000 hits.  Now I know the stereotype of an "artist" is of a brooding genius, suffering for their art, but a disparity like that on a keyword search is amazing.  We'll see if that changes once we round the turn on this, granted enormous, bottom coming our way.

No comments: