FYI, here are some sources (both primary and news aggregators) for the ongoing crisis in Japan. The nuclear reactor piece is a small part of the tragedy there, but it is getting a lot of play, deservedly so.
The initial report earlier today that a hydrogen explosion from material in the reactor vessel had ruptured the containment building appears to be false (per CNN). That would have been the worst-case scenario and hopefully we have avoided that.
- Americican Nuclear Society – ANS Nuclear cafe blog updates throughout the day
- IAEA Tsunami & Earthquake updates Alert Log & Twitter feed & Facebook
- Tokyo Electric Power - press release updates
- Reuters - continuous live updates
- WNN – Update 1015 GMT | 2011 03
Once we have a better handle on the end game in Japan, I'll be discussing some of the socionomic ramifications of this.
This is a bad deal, but I think we've avoided a worst-case scenario (release of large amounts of fission products) - for now...