Check out this wave of posts by John Robb over at Globalguerrillas. He lays out a framework of how the action space we will all operate in might evolve in the coming years:
- DIY (do-it-yourself) Weapons
- RESILIENT COMMUNITY: FABRICATION
- TINKERING NETWORKS AND DIY ROCKETS
- JOURNAL: Case Study on Open Decision Making
- RESILIENT COMMUNITY: MICROGRIDS
- RESILIENT COMMUNITY: TRANSITION TOWNS
When reading the articles, think also of how you might leverage such systems for development of DIY systems for producing or working with local goods, especially localized ag products and leveraging scrap or "waste" products. Lot's of room to the upside for quick thinkers in a world where I believe the authority of various levels of governance will be declining at the street level and where things we take for granted like stable electricity supplies, easy access to credit, cheap food and transport fuels will all become much more volatile in both price and availability.